Thursday, June 4, 2015

My Next Chapter in Life



In a couple previous posts, I eluded to some changes coming for me and feel like now is the time to share.  I graduated from school almost 3 years ago and felt like I was pretty comfortable with my job.  I enjoy adventure and challenge and was feeling like there was something missing in my life.  I needed something more.  After much thought and prayer I am confident in my decision.

I joined the Army Reserves.

I started talking with a healthcare recruiter back in October and immediately started the paperwork needed so I could have my application ready to go before the annual board in November.  Then, in the beginning of December I found out I had been selected as a med/surg nurse.  I officially commissioned in February as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army Nurse Corps.  This weekend will be my first battle assembly with my unit.

goarmy.com

Joining the military has been something I thought about, just not seriously, for most of my life.  Two of my uncles served in the Marines for 20+ years.  In high school my thinking was more along the lines of I am going to college so I can't join the military.  Then after college, the first time, I was newly married.  Plus teaching wasn't something I could pursue if I wanted to go into active service.  Reserves wasn't something I had really considered until the last year or so.  The more I looked into it and considered it though, the more interested I became.  I felt like if I didn't thoroughly purse this opportunity I would regret it later on.

I am excited but nervous.  Do I really know what I am getting myself into?  Not completely.  But I am ready for something new in my life and looking forward to all the varied experiences I will receive.  It will be a lot of work and won't always be easy but it is something I feel called to do.


Most of my family and friends now know that I have joined the reserves.  Many think it sounds interesting.  A few think it is a bad decision.  Most would never imagine this as something I would do.  I am someone with varied interests; often different interests than typically seen.  I know this will be a good fit for me.  Over time this will just become a part of who I am.  

So, that is the next chapter in my life.  What are your thoughts or experiences regarding the Army Reserves?

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you!!! What a great adventure you are embarking on.

    ReplyDelete