Monday, March 31, 2014

21 Day Fix Week 1 Review

21 Day Fix Autumn Calabrese
21 Day Fix trainer Autumn Calabrese

Week 1 of the 21 Day Fix is complete!  Overall I think it went really well although there is some room for improvement.  It's hard to change your habits in just a week and there were definitely a few slip-ups over the week.  But again, I feel like it was a great start since I plan on making this a lifestyle change.

As far as the working out went, holy cow, I guess I was more out of shape than I realized.  30 minutes doesn't sound like a long time but you still get a really good workout in.  I can really appreciate how each exercise has a modifier available as well.  I certainly needed to use a few of them.  I always seems to have a difficult time with push-ups and planks ad used modifiers much of the time with these.  But, I'm hopeful with continued practice they will get better.  If you have any push-up or plank tips I would love to hear them!


Day 1 workout: the total body cardio fix was a great whole body workout.  I woke up the next day not actually feeling that sore and thought I had escaped the typical soreness of a new workout, but as the day wore on I got more and more sore.  Tuesday was upper fix which I did okay with.  I was so thankful that I didn't have to do too many leg movements since I was extremely sore by the time I exercised after I got home from work.  If I thought I was sore Tuesday evening, I was wrong.... Wednesday morning the soreness really hit.  I was sore to the point where, anytime I wanted to sit down, I had to brace myself to make it bearable when my legs touched the chair.  Needless to say, the lower fix workout that day was rough but I completed it as best as I could.  Fortunately the soreness slowly eased up and today I am able to move around as normal.  But I'm interested in seeing how my body responds to starting the workouts over again today.

Thursday's workout was Pilates fix.  I'm not really familiar with doing Pilates and need to work on some of the movements.  Friday's workout was cardio fix and Saturday was Dirty 30.  Yesterday, I did the yoga fix.  Like Pilates, I only have limited experience with yoga.  Personally, it is a little slower pace than I like but then again I have to remind myself that it is suppose to be an active recovery day which does seem to describe the workout well.  I will stick with the yoga fix for the next 2 weeks as scheduled, put don't necessarily know if yoga is something I can see myself doing often.

Following the eating plan went better than I would have expected.  I basically stuck to my plan with a couple of minor changes.  One thing that made the week difficult was the fact that it was my birthday last week and naturally we went out to dinner to celebrate.  I stuck with relatively healthy options including a salad and turkey sandwich but did allow myself to cheat and had a chocolate cupcake that came with dinner.  I knew I was going to allow myself dessert and tried to be especially careful earlier in the day while eating.  I also told myself that this is not going to become a pattern but is rather a one-time cheat since it was my birthday.  I also had some pop that day which I had been craving the rest of the week but had not given but since I knew this would be my one cheat day I decided to splurge.  Maybe not the best decision, but I enjoyed the food and and now good for a while without feeling the need for junk food.

Week 1 Meal Plan
Other than my birthday meal, I have pretty much eaten the appropriate containers each day and have been pretty satisfied with the amount of food I have available to eat.  My husband is even doing pretty good with checking in with me about what containers I have left to eat so he can plan dinner when it is his turn to cook.

To be completely honest, I still have cravings for junk food, but I have been able to resist most of them.  I really do think that Shakeology is helping with the sweet tooth I have.  Shakeology gives me a dose of chocolate everyday and is enough sweetness to curb my cravings.  I know that eventually the cravings will subside somewhat but I expect it to always be a challenge.  I will consciously have to tell myself that the small pleasure I get from eating the sweets isn't worth the work it would take to erase it from my body. There will be times I will give in because I don't want to totally deprive my body but moderation is the key!


www.beachbodycoach.com/meredithvisser


Wow, that turned into a long and wordy post!  But I do hope it gave you a better understanding of how the 21 Day Fix went this first week for me.  Do you have any specific questions about week one?  Have you done 21 Day Fix before or do you think you want to try it?  Let me know if I can be of any help to you!

In case you were wondering, I don't plan on checking my measurements until the end of the 21 days so stay tuned for results in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment