Monday, May 5, 2014

House Tour: Dining Room Before and After

Our dining room is next to our kitchen and this is the first time I haven't had an eat in kitchen.  This took a bit to get use to for me, but now I really like the room although I would still love to have room for a table in our kitchen too.  At least we have a counter that we can eat at.  

Dining room before.

Anyways, on to the tour of the dining room before and after remodeling.  When we first bought the house, the dining room was a decent size but had a small nook off it that was really wasted space.  The nook was about 4'x8' and had been used as a toy room or place to put a piano in years past.  I knew immediately upon seeing it that I wanted to get rid of the wall separating these two areas.  Of course that's easier said then done.  

Wall separating nook and dining room.
Taken from the dining room looking toward the master bedroom.

Nook next to dining room before we
removed the wall.

My brother in law took care of adding the needed support and we were able to make the nook disappear and really open up the dining room.  What a difference it made!  In addition, when removing the wall, we were also able to remove a chimney since we put in a new HVAC system and no longer needed the chimney to vent the system.  This allowed us to open the space up even more.  What a lot of work and oh the mess it created!  I don't miss living in the mess one bit, it was so hard to keep anything clean during the renovation.

Chimney before being removed.

Wall separating the dining room and nook area
during the removal process.

View from the dining room through the wall that was removed.

Are you ready for the amazing results?!!!  I can't believe the changes, but I love them!!  So bright and open.  This has to be one of my favorite rooms now.  I love the natural light it receives since we really don't get a lot of that in this house.  We still have a lot of extra space, even with the table and buffet.

Dining room looking toward the kitchen.

Looking towards where the wall and nook area use to be.
So much more space!

Close-up of the buffet my husband and I built,
placed in what use to be the nook area.

Do you have a separate dining area away from the kitchen?  Do you use the room often?  Rob and I eat in our dining room several times a week for dinner and the space works great for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment