Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Rural Rush



I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!  I am excited to be done with work until next Wednesday!  Still trying to figure out what I am going to fill my week off with.  Any ideas?

This past Friday I ran the Rural Rush for a Cure 5k this past Friday.  It is a small 5k put on by my high school football team benefiting the American Cancer Society.  It started 15 years ago after a player lost his battle with cancer and has been an annual event ever since.  It takes place in farm country and is a mostly flat looped course.

 Facebook Page

The weather was perfect, low 60's, sunny, and calm.  Plus I love evening races since I seem to feel most awake and energized at that time.  I started off strong and felt that I was doing good but I wasn't timing myself so I didn't know how fast I was running.  I had a great PR.  I finished in 26:09 and couldn't be happier.


I placed first in my age group again and even got a $10 gift card to a local running store.  These smaller races are great for boosting my confidence.  But, I am looking forward to a running in a couple larger events yet this summer.  Love how it feels to run with hundreds of other people also.  My goal of running a 5k in under 25 minutes is still a ways off but I'm determined to continue pushing myself to see what I can accomplish.  Any tips on running a faster 5k?

What fun things did you do this weekend?



1 comment: